Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jerusalem 2

Hey Everyone!
So I will start off with Thursday--my first real day, volunteering and class. On Weds we, me and the others that I am volunteering with, toured Yad Lakashish--Lifeline for the Elderly--a place where the the elderly can come, work, eat and create beautiful artwork that is then sold in a gift shop. Yad Lakashish reminds me a lot of my grandpa Chuck, OBM. There are many different workshops--embroidery, wood and metal work, jewelry, and book binding. I am working in the gift shop with a British girl also named Rachel. On Thursday, we took inventory and marked down prices on some jewelry.
This shabbat was really nice. Since a lot of the kids here went to Tel Aviv for the weekend, those of us who stayed in Jerusalem created a potluck shabbat meal. I made a kuggle, it didn't turn out that well since I couldn't find egg noodles and used pasta instead. It is okay though, everyone still ate it. Chelsea Wigle spend the weekend with me. It was so nice having her stay. She really clicked with my roommate, Jessica, it is very entertaining them sing and dance while I am reading or whatnot. Saturday, Jessica, Chelsea and I walked about an hr, mostly uphill (I live in the valley, so to go anywhere is uphill) to my cousin, Raanan's, fiance, Sharon. Sharon had a beautiful meal and it was really lovely talking and playing games.
Walking in Jerusalem is very amusing. So I had copied directions off of google maps. Can anyone tell me what a slight left is in a round about? We ended up meeting many people that were happy to give us short cuts.
The rest of shabbat we all rested and just hung out. Saturday night I went out with Chelsea and Shawna Dolinka to Ben Yehuda. We grabbed dinner and walked around. I had no clue that where I volunteer was so close to Ben Yehuda and the Mamilla shopping center. I am literally down town. I love having close friends here from home.
Today, Sunday, Chelsea left in the morning to return to seminary, and I left for volunteering. There were other (elderly) volunteers today in the gift shop. Previously, Rachel, and I thought that it was only the paid employees working in the gift shop and we were a little disappointed. So today I helped Divorah, one of the volunteers from NY, with lots of organizing and sorting. And then I got to work on a spread sheet! I was so excited. I have really missed excel. hahaha. After work, we took the bus back home and I took a nap after lunch. After my nap, Shevet, had shofar making. I made my very own shofar for rosh hashanah. We had to sand them down, shine them and polish them. The organizers cut the hole in them though. Hopefully I can pick out which one is mine. After shofar making, we had electives. I am taking a course on Jewish Art. It is really interesting. Today we looked at art from other religions b/c art and religion has always intermixed and due to the second commandment--graven images--we must discuss if Jews can even create art and what are the limits on depicting GOD, which are different for almost every religion.
Later tonight, we had our first apartment meeting with out madricha. since we are 16 girls it is tough to try and all sit down together and discuss things. We usually have small meetings and then tell each other. I think and hope the cleaning the regimen becomes a little more smoother.
Oh, so Ilan, another friend from back home has almost moved in here it seems. He is staying with the guys and it is really nice having people from home here.
Shanah Tova,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. from mom

    Dear Rachel, I really enjoyed reading your latest blog. Your volunteering jobs sound neat, cause you can do a variety of tasks in the same place, and not get bored. How cool to have friends from home and new friends share together this exciting and challenging adventure. As far as feeling frustrated about the cleaning. I suggest to work out a chart, maybe on your excel spreadsheet a cleaning schedule for your apartment. Every week it rotates so people don't get burned out doing the same stuff. But 16 girls living together with 1 kitchen and 2 or 3 bath rooms needs a lot of attention so it stays clean and healthy for everyone involved. You don't want flu season to come and then start taking it seriously. Your Madricha should help you guys figure it out. The jobs of shopping and cooking, are one thing, but keeping the bathrooms and kitchen clean, are hard work and should be shared equally. That was so sweet of Sharon to have you and the girls over for a meal on Shabbos. How is your ankle doing?
    The sweet sentiment about Grandpa at your volunteer job is very touching, I'm sure he's looking down on you and sending his blessing's to you for participating in such special work. The Jewish Art class sounds fascinating, will you actually do art or just study it? Well Rachel, I'm taking Talya to a Friendship circle bar-b-que at the Poway lake, Please call your madricha for any issues that need to be addressed. lots of love,mom

    ReplyDelete